The face you make when you realize that Turkish delights aren't the only "snacks" in Turkey...👀 #TurkishBae#ImMarriedNotDead
A short while ago I asked you whether wearing this Afghan dress was cultural appropriation. Well, the truth is that there's a fine line between appropriation and appreciation. Here are my thoughts:
1. Exploiting elements of people's culture, whether for financial gain or purely for your own non-malicious enjoyment, is wrong.
2. Somebody's culture should never be your costume.
3. Cultural appropriation is rooted the three Ps: privilege, permission, and power.
This means that if you come from a position of PRIVILEGE, you need to be careful when you adopt elements of a minority culture, especially when the people from that culture have been historically disadvantaged and denigrated.
It's thus best to seek PERMISSION first (though admittedly discerning who can accord this permission is often difficult since no one person can speak for an entire culture). Why? Because when you appropriate, there's no equal cultural exchange taking place because there's an imbalance of POWER. Colonizing someone's culture is never a good look.
4. If you're going to appreciate, do your research and give PROPER credit. I mistakenly thought this was a Turkish dress and was roundly informed by a number of Afghani people who found the picture that it was indeed an Afghan dress. Cultural appropriation is even more hurtful when you blatantly erase the people you've adopted elements from. Educate yourself accordingly.
5. IMPACT is much more important than INTENT. So when you get called out for cultural appropriation, instead of getting defensive and saying "you didn't know", apologize and DO BETTER NEXT TIME.
Soon it’ll be Thanksgiving and then Christmas. At least 50 million extra turkeys will be murdered.
Virtually all vegans will have to endure arguments or at best awkward atmospheres as family members accuse them of ruining the holidays and spoiling tradition.
Look at this turkey and don’t for one second waiver from the fact that you have truth and justice on your side and the only victims are the animals being murdered.
Pic by @unparalleled_suffering who takes incredible footage of animal suffering. Follow and support if you’re able.